Aren’t Essential Oils for Hippies?
When I first got married I would look at my husband’s family and think how crazy they were with their tinctures and salves. I could not figure out why on earth they were using those types of things when there were modern day solutions that didn’t include¬†(what I perceived to be) weird ingredients. What did I know? Come to find out, not much. I figured that if a product was for sale that meant it was safe. I had no idea that what I thought were safe ingredients were actually chemical cocktails and what I thought was¬†weird, were actually gifts from the earth. My first encounter with essential oils was a friend putting lemon essential oil on the bottom of my sons feet. He seemed to be drawn to these crazy oils and it got my attention.¬†
I started doing some research to see how and what these essential oils could be used for. I loved what I found but some of it seemed unbelievable. I didn’t realize that God had given us such powerful gifts and I didn’t understand why everyone wasn’t using them if they could actually do what I was reading about. After tossing the idea around for a few months my husband and I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a set of oils that would get us a variety but not be overwhelming. We also bought a diffuser since I had read that one of the best ways to utilize oils was aromatically. I was hesitant at first and reluctant to use them even after all of my research.
Then a need arose and I put them to the test to see if they could help maintain clear airways and breathing for¬†my young son. What I experienced was unlike anything I had ever encountered before. I knew I was on to something and that these oils weren’t just for hippies. They were for anyone that wanted to have safe options for their family in helping to support and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Over the years we have used these oils for a myriad of things and I have never once regretted jumping on this path. Not only did it open my eyes to the way I care for my family but also the ingredients we allow in our home.
You know when you’re peeling an orange and you can’t help taking a deep breath because it smells amazing?
Or when you walk past a peppermint plant? Or a rose bush? You know that smell that the body seems to crave? Well, that’s where essential oils come from…from the aromatic compounds inside of plants. Pretty incredible, right? I thought so too. I love the smell of most essential oils (I will admit that there are some I don’t really care for but they are still very useful – like helichrysum). Besides smelling good, what can oils really do? The list of things that we’ve used our oils for could go on and on but here are some of my favorites:
- Lessen sad and anxious feelings
- Support overall respiratory health
- Soothe sore muscles and joints
- Cleanse and purify the air and surfaces
- Promote oral health
- Help soothe skin irritations
- Support localized blood flow
- Aid in the digestion of food
- Soothe occasional stomach upset
- Help to lessen stress
- Assist with clear breathing
- Support liver health
- Help reduce mental and physical fatigue
- Promote healthy, smooth skin
- Promote circulation
- Help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other blemishes
- Help relieve tension
- Soothe an irritated throat
- Support healthy immune function
- Eradicate unpleasant odor and clear the air
- Protect against seasonal threats
You get the idea? They are amazing and they have changed my life!!
Aren’t all oils the same regardless of where you get them from?
One of the things that people can sometimes get hung up on when starting out is trying to figure out what brand to use. All essential oils are not the same and the saying “you get what you pay for” is very true when it comes to essential oils. I have looked at several different essential oil companies over the years because I want to make sure that I knew for myself that I have the best for my family. I’m confident that I made the right choice¬†when it comes to essential oils!
Just a couple of things I’ve found to be important when it comes to essential oils and choosing a company…
- Sourcing Matters.¬†The time of day, year, and geographic location that the plant material is harvested from¬†is crucial to the process of getting pure essential oils. Lavender that comes from France is not the same as what comes from Utah. Also, I don’t want the plants being sprayed with pesticides either. Some companies just aren’t concerned about those kinds of things.
- The Distilling Process Matters.¬†When an oil is being distilled from plant matter, the temperature and pressure can either draw out perfection or damage the oil in the process. Pulling oil from peppermint leaves or cedarwood chips is very different and the pressure and temperature needs to be different as well to ensure the therapeutic constituents are preserved in the process.
- Thorough Testing Matters. When I was checking out other companies and asking around I got some strange and rather eye-opening answers about essential oil testing. Did you know some companies verify that their oils are pure…
- Via Prayer? (I love and believe in the power of prayer but I love science when it comes to proper testing)
- Via Smelling alone? (Weird since some synthetics smell like the real thing)
- By testing once every 10 years? (How many batches get processed without any testing?)
- By testing only when they get a new grower? (Again, how do they know they aren’t being given synthetic oils?)
- The Bottling Process Matters. Even if an oil is tested thoroughly it doesn’t make once ounce of difference if they then dilute the oil to the point that it’s mostly carrier oil.¬†
- Their Global Impact Matters. There are countries all over the world that are in poverty and barely surviving. Many of these countries provide essential oils as an export. It’s socially responsible to ensure that those people are taken care of and treated fairly for delivering a high quality product.¬†
Are you ready for life changing oils?
Over the past three years I’ve been able to educate and share my love of essential oils freely. Due to their increasing popularity there are government agencies that are stepping in and enforcing what we can and can’t say about oils. Do I love having my freedom of speech hindered? Not really but I want to ensure that thousands more people can learn that they have options! So I will play it safe and abide by the rules. While I would love to share more information on how you can get started and what brand of oils we use, I can’t here. Strange huh? There’s an easy fix to that though. Just do one of the following:
- Send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have and I’ll get right back to you.
- Send a text to 33444¬†with the message of MODERNWELLNESS and then follow the prompts. You’ll get a detailed email with additional information.
- Click on the link below and fill out the form and I’ll send you an email right away with helpful information on how to get started.
Each month we offer a special promotion for those that are ready to get started with essential oils. In the email that I will send after you take on of the above steps, it will include the promotion for this month. Don’t wait to get started! I promise you won’t regret it.
Essential Oil Support
My life has been changed by these amazing gifts and I feel like I have a stewardship to share them with others. I take that stewardship seriously. Not only am I here to help you but we have an amazing group full of people ready to answer your questions! Don’t hesitate to get started fearing that you won’t know what to do. We are here to help you every step of the way!